Let's Prove The Odds Wrong!
On May 13th, doctors at Stanford Hospital told Nick Glasgow that he has a 0% chance of finding a donor, given his unique ethnic make-up of ¼ Japanese and ¾ Caucasian.
Nick, 28 years old and an EMC employee, is in the race for his life. The need to find a qualified bone marrow doner is at a critical stage.
In mid March, Nick was diagnosed with Acute Leukemia. There was a 70% chance that Nick would go into remission after one chemo treatment, however, Nick’s fate lies in the other 30%. He went through two treatments, and he is still not in remission. Nick’s only hope is to find a bone marrow donor. The National Bone Marrow Registry only has a handful of such potential donors, and the likelihood of them being a match is slim to none.
Please see the following, an email just distributed to all 40,000 EMC employees ... the race is on to save a friend and a great guy:
Carole Wiegand (firstname.lastname@example.org), Nick's mom and fellow EMC employee
Stacy Morales (email@example.com), a friend and EMC colleague of Nick and Carole who is helping to coordinate all this
Carol Gillespie (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the Asian American Donor Program
In the email, include your registration ID number, the location where you were tested, and testing date. The reason for this is that the national database usually takes a few weeks to be updated with a new potential donor's test results. For Nick, time is of the essence. They will be expediting these samples for Nick so his doctors will be able to urgently retrieve possible matches.
Thank you to all who have tried to help and expressed concern. I would like to close with this message from Stacy Morales:
"Thank you does not begin to express the gratitude that Carole and Nick have for you all right now. You have given this family hope, and quite possibly, the gift of life."
--------------- TWEET IT! BLOG IT! STATUS IT! --------------
Nick is fighting for his life and time is limited. Please help raise awareness among the Asian/American community and encourage them to register their marrow through www.marrow.org. If you or ANYONE you know is ¼ Asian and ¾ Caucasian, PLEASE register today.
Please publicize this cause by posting it as your status and spreading it. Nick's time is limited, so please act NOW. Together, we can help save Nick!