A few highlights crossing my life and in-box at EMC:
- New 52-week stock price high. Let's start with the money. Ahhh. Up feels a lot better than down, now doesn't it?
- New Vision. While EMC's vision was announced on Friday, all the write ups are flooding the "in-box" today. To know more, here's the must read blog, Go Big or Go Home, by EMC's Chuck Hollis. It is bold, and buzz-worthy. All in, pretty cool, too. Here's a recent view of the tweet stream -- comments or RTs coming in about every 30 seconds today:
- New CMO. Welcome Jeremy Burton! Jeremy is our first major-wager-C-level marketing hire ... ever. Jeremy has has an EMC-like execution track record, a business-centric demeanor, an innovation and thought-leadership bent -- and the ability to build a brand such that it major-ly irks larger competitors. (Trust me on that. First-hand experience.) I love that we did NOT hire a fancy-pants, color-centric marketing person who thinks that branding equals advertising. I love that we did NOT hire a marketing person who is on the early stage ramp of understanding web 2.0. I love that we DID hire a marketing person whose most recent job was a CEO -- only a marketing person with a CEO-headset would thrive, I think, in our C-suite.
[PHOTO: Jeremy Burton, EMC's new CMO]
Here's my so what:
- Such stock trends -- break-throughs on the upside -- indicate the market is in favor of your company's future. They understand where you are going, they believe you have a competitive lead that is likely to grow, and that you have an earnings profile likely to expand. Oh, and they believe they can make money by investing in your stock. All good!
- When the market writes about your vision, this is good. When your vision is so bold they use the word "crazy" in the headline, this is even better. It begets more buzz. And, let's face it, the tech market hasn't had enough "crazy" in the headlines for the past 10 years. Things are getting exciting in tech!
- Net new investments in marketing, in high-tech, in this market -- whoa, that's "let's secure this win!" confidence. Personally, I love that we have another in the C-suite who seems to share the beliefs of many of the 2.0 trailblazers at EMC. Beliefs like:
- leveraging -- not fearing -- 21st century business management models, inclusive of use of social media
- leveraging -- not fearing or minimizing -- the strengths and passions of your people ("employees") as the genuine brand.
------------------ Talk Back ----------------------------
Have you ever considered joining the EMC community?
If so, there are many ways to be part of this story. Some ideas:
- Consider applying, or telling someone you care about, to apply. (http://www.emc.com/careers.)
- Consider connecting with any of the many EMCers on Twitter, Facebook, and our Customer/Partner Network, ECN.
- Consider using our products (Mozy and VMware for the home rock! As do, of course, our big business powerhouse products.).
- Look to see if EMC is already in your investment portfolio. That could give you a reason to cheer (and to join us) as we execute our crazy good vision!
If not, please tell me that too.
-- Polly Pearson
@PollyPearson on Twitter